Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Understanding the makeover....

Just for those that may take the time to hear about the before and after project Kelly and I have been working on....I without the help of Kelly would never have been able to take on this kind of project, not because I couldn't do it but because she gave me the strength to do it even on days I cried at the thought of going back but also because of my friend Bobbie for whom we did it for...upon moving to SC and not knowing a soul she was the first person that be-friended me so to speak...we grew very close very quickly because at the age of only 33 her husband passed away and I was there for her during the most difficult time of her life. She is a gentle soul who always does for others and rarely for herself. She has re-married and has since had another child , and is very happy. Now the one thing she has always wanted was a nice home but truly never knew how to achieve it and most of her attempts were unsuccessful and without any help from family or friends without a price. She has after 11 years of knowing her decided to buy and build her dream home for her and her new husband, and despite his inability to do anything around the home he is a kind and supportive soul. So in my heart I truly felt this was something she not only wanted but truly needed help with, so began the project. She became very frustrated at times, and our friendship was tested because honesty at times may not be pleasant, but necessary. So we began what seemed to be an impossible task, and at every turn there seemed to be a barrier, or detour , a brick wall on our journey making things seem impossible, and with a deadline which we totally knew we would never meet..Then finally the day came where the first room was completed and as she walked into the room, a proud and humble woman crumbled and cried on my shoulder, thanking me and Kelly for giving her something she had always wanted but never had....I held back the tears and at that moment realized why I had been put on this journey....what goes around comes back around I thought to myself...a selfless act being shown out of love for a friend...Last Wednesday should have been our last visit but we decided to go back for one more visit and tweak things a little but before we arrived at our usual Wednesday morning I got a call from Bobbie saying that her husband had been rushed to the hospital to have emergency surgery, and although he is fine right now will have to be brought home with a wound vac and, and very large open incision which will mean he will be down for several weeks...So I guess, after all the grumbling I became humbled by the fact that God had put us there at that time to prepare her to take care of her husband.... she had a clean home, an organized home and finally she would realize how important it was while caring for him. So life does work in mysterious ways, and I am thankful that Kelly and I could be a part of his healthy and speedy recovery! Lisa

6 comments:

Cottage Dreaming said...

French, I am so glad you added "the story" to the makeover. I was so focused on the transformation that you forget the impact it must have had on the owners. God did in fact put you there for a reason. What an incredible gift in more ways than one. Heather

twintoo10292 said...

What a success your first home staging project is!! My girlfriend and I did an interior redesign in a friends sunroom and it turned out great. After spraying the wicker with 15 cans of spray paint that is. I think our biggest question is what to charge? What did you charge your friend? Or what would you have charged if it was a regular client? You and Kelly need to pat yourselves on the backs for a job well done because it is quite the transformation. There is no bigger thank you then the graditude seen in your friends eyes. Now you know the two of you have the passion, the drive and the talent and I wish you much success. Twin

Anonymous said...

French, Not only am I so proud of you and Kelly but I have tears running down my face just knowing how God blessed not only your friend, but you and KK as well. He is so good and will provide our every need! Doesn't it feel great to be used by HIM? Please tell your friend that she and her husband are in my prayers. And in the meantime, think of all the experience you've had to draw upon for future projects. I can't wait to see what you do next. carol

Rue said...

Wonderful story French :)

You girls did an amazing job and not to sound condescending, but... I'm proud of you both.

XO,
rue

Anonymous said...

Ok I can't find the hankies..you are suppose to supply a stack of them when you tell those heart moving testimonies....I could not be more prouder of you and Kia than if you were my own flesh and blood....what a beautiful and totally unselfish act of love and kindness....That blessed my soul to read that sis!...Picket

Anonymous said...

That is some story French! I loved reading about this journey. The transformation was beautiful too. Thanks for your well wishes on my trip to see Mom. It was a whirlwind trip - always so much to do while I'm there but it is worth it knowing it makes her nursing home life more livable. Say, I love Sam's room. xoxoxo Susan :)

About Me

My photo
South Carolina, United States
Never say what if... Just do. Live life without regrets...RN /Author/Interior Decorator